“Teaching & Supporting Students with Special Needs” - 8th National Conference - RETHINKING REDEFINING REDESIGNING
Suitable for All Teachers. Education Support Staff. Anyone Interested in the Education and Welfare of Children with Special/Diverse Needs.
Teacher PD Event Information:
Focus of the Conference
- Showcase the attributes of Special Needs Children through the Key-Note /Workshop Presentations.
- Understand more fully the nuances of Students with Special Needs in order to develop new units/programs that can better support and progress these students through their schooling experience.
- Brilliant ideas and strategies to understand, inform and support our young people.
- Embrace through the two day immersion experiences, the new ideas/strategies that can be implemented into the classroom to better support students with Special Needs.
- Allow the opportunity for participants to network through the Sessions/Morning Teas/ Lunches.
DAY ONE – Thursday 30th August, 2018
8.30am onwards Registration.
9.00am – 9.10am House-Keeping details for the Conference
9.10am – 10.20am Keynote address by Andrew Fuller “Neurodevelopmental Differentiation (NDD) -Identifying Learning Strengths”
10.20am – 10.30am De-brief of keynote address.
10.30am – 11.00am Morning Tea.
11.00am – 12.30pm Workshops (A – E)
- Workshop A Ron Thomas “Catering to the Gifted Student”
- Workshop B Dr Carl Parsons “Dealing with Students with Intellectual Disabilities”
- Workshop C Sally Learey “Building Positive Relationships with Special Needs Students (ASD /Anxiety) Through Understanding Their Behaviour and Needs”
- Workshop D Rachel Colla “Hope Matters: Unlocking Potential for our Youth to Thrive”
- Workshop E Greg Mitchell “The Parent Puzzle”
12.30pm – 1.15pm Lunch
1.15pm – 2.40pm Workshops (F – J)
- Workshop F Shirley Houston “Dyscalculia: Diagnosis and Intervention”
- Workshop G Ron Thomas “Catering to the Gifted Student” - Deep Thinking – practical philosophy and ethics for students
- Workshop H Dr Carl Parsons “Strategies & Techniques for Students with Autism”
- Workshop I Sally Learey “Stress and Anxiety Management for both Practitioners and Students”
- Workshop J Rachel Colla “Authentic Purpose: Assisting Students with the Challenges of School and Beyond”
2.45pm – 4.15pm Workshops (K- O)
- Workshop K Greg Mitchell “How to make your Team Work”
- Workshop L Dr Carl Parsons “Effectively Planning & Implementing I.L.P’s”
- Workshop M Charlinda Parsons “Teaching Strategies for Students with Sensory Processing Diffi culties”
- Workshop N Jules Haddock “Strategies to Support Students with Anxiety”
- Workshop O Shirley Houston “Strategies for Supporting Students with Low Working Memory”
Day TWO – Friday 31st August, 2018
9.00am – 10.00am Keynote address by Greg Mitchell “The Elemental Truths of Teaching Special Needs”
10.15am – 10.45am Morning Tea
10.50am – 12.00pm Workshops (P - T)
- Workshop P Emma McCarthy “Universal Design – Practical Strategies to Assist Students with Diverse Needs”
- Workshop Q Greg Mitchell “Autism in Mainstream Classrooms”
- Workshop R Jo Prestia “Practical Strategies to Support Students with Special Needs”
- Workshop S Karen Starki ss “Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment for Students with Dyslexia and otherLearning Diffi culties”
- Workshop T Jim Sprialis “Using Assistive Technologies to Support Students with Reading Diffi culties”
12.00pm – 12.45pm Lunch
12.50pm – 2.00pm Workshops (U - Y)
- Workshop U Emma McCarthy “Functional Behaviour Support”
- Workshop V Kate Johnson “Embracing Pre-Teen Students on the Autism Spectrum”
- Workshop W Jo Prestia “Teachers and LSOs Working Hand in Hand”
- Workshop X Karen Starkiss “The Big Five Essential Skills for Reading for all Students particularly those with Learning Diffi culties”
- Workshop Y Jim Sprialis “Using Assistive Technologies to Support Students with Written Language Difficulties”
2.05pm – 3.15pm Workshops (Z - DD)
- Workshop Z Kate Johnson “Building Collaborative Communication Practices with Parents”
- Workshop AA Emma McCarthy “Preparing for Learning by Learning to Play”
- Workshop BB Greg Mitchell “Can you teach in Special Needs and remain human?”
- Workshop CC Karen Starkiss “Using games to Develop Language & Vocabulary”
- Workshop DD Jim Sprialis “Showcasing Enhanced Educational Materials to Assist Students with Additional Needs”
3.15pm – 3.45pm Closing Address - Greg Mitchell
Thursday 30th August & Friday 31st August, 2018
|8.30am - 4.15pm (Reg. from 8.30am)|
Melbourne Cricket Ground,
Brunton Avenue, Richmond
Melbourne, Victoria Australia.
|Target Audience - All Teachers. Education Support Staff. Anyone Interested in the Education and Welfare of Children with Special/Diverse Needs.|
|One Day: $AU449 GST Incl.
Two Days: $AU 699 GST Incl. (No split bookings)
About the Presenters:
For full details of the presenter for this event please read the Conference Brochure by Clicking Here